Inlay / Onlay
Inlays / Onlays – Restore Your Smile In South Tampa!
What are Inlays/Onlays?
Inlays/Onlays are dental restorations that can be used to restore cracked or fractured teeth if the damage is not severe enough to require a dental crown. They are also made to restore rear teeth that have a mild to moderate amount of decay. An inlay sits in a hole inside the tooth and an onlay sits on top of the tooth to build up its shape. Their use helps to conserve much of the natural tooth structure. Because they can be created from tooth-colored materials, inlays and onlays are often used to replace metal fillings for patients who desire a more natural-looking smile. They are made of composite resin material, porcelain, or gold by a dental laboratory or our In-Office GlideWell Mill!
Treatment involves isolating the tooth and removing any old fillings or damaged tooth structure under local anesthesia. An Impression is made of the tooth, then the inlay or onlay is created from porcelain, gold, or composite resin material. The inlay/onlay is then cemented securely into place and adjusted to ensure the tooth is comfortable to bite on.
In treating dental decay, inlays and onlays help to eliminate tooth sensitivity and eventual tooth loss. Inlays and onlays also offer the following benefits:
- Made from tooth-colored material.
- They require less tooth reduction than metal fillings allowing dentists to conserve more natural tooth structure.
- Unlike metal fillings, they will not expand or contract in response to temperature changes caused by hot or cold foods diminishing the possibility of fracture.
- The durable material from which inlays and onlays are made helps them last up to 30 years, much longer than that of conventional amalgam fillings.
- Inlays and onlays can replace silver fillings to create a healthier, more natural-looking smile.
- By saving decayed teeth, inlays and onlays prevent the need for more extensive treatment later on.
Traditional Inlays and onlays placement usually take 2-3 appointments. However, our in-office GlideWell Mill can eliminate the need for multiple appointments since your unique inlay/onlay can now be designed and created in-house!
We specialize in cosmetic dentistry, smile makeovers, general dentistry & sedation dentistry throughout the Tampa & South Tampa area. Areas we service include Bayshore Beautiful, Hyde Park, New Suburb Beautiful, Gray Gables, Culbreath, West Shore, Palma Ceia, Gulfview, Westshore Yacht Club, 33602, 33606, 33609, 33611, 33616, 33629 & all of Hillsborough County.