Inlay / Onlay
Inlays / Onlays in South Tampa FL
These are restorations that are made to rear teeth that have a mild to moderate amount of decay. They can also be used to restore teeth that are cracked or fractured if the damage is not severe enough to require a dental crown. Because they can be created from tooth-colored materials, inlays and onlays are often used to replace metal fillings for patients who desire a more natural-looking smile. They are made of composite resin material, porcelain, or gold by a dental laboratory. Once completed, Dr. Bauer will glue them to the tooth. An inlay sits in a hole inside the tooth and an onlay sits on top of the tooth to build up its shape. Their use helps to conserve much of the natural tooth structure.
Inlay & Onlay Treatment
Treatment involves isolating the tooth and removing any old fillings or damaged tooth structure under local anesthesia. Dr. Bauer makes an impression of the tooth, then the inlay or onlay is created from porcelain, gold, or composite resin material. The inlay/onlay is cemented securely into place. Dr. Bauer may make adjustments to ensure the tooth is comfortable to bite on.
Benefits of Dental Inlays & Onlays
In treating dental decay, inlays and onlays help to eliminate tooth sensitivity and eventual tooth loss. Inlays and onlays also offer the following benefits:
- Made from tooth-colored material, inlays and onlays are virtually invisible.
- Inlays and onlays requires less tooth reduction than metal fillings allowing Dr. Whelan to conserve more natural tooth structure.
- Unlike metal fillings, inlays and onlays will not expand or contract in response to temperature changes caused by hot or cold foods diminishing the possibility of fracture.
- The durable material from which inlays and onlays are made helps them last up to 30 years, much longer than that of conventional amalgam fillings.
- Inlays and onlays can replace silver fillings to create a healthier, more natural-looking smile.
- By saving decayed teeth, inlays and onlays prevent the need for more extensive treatment later on.
Inlays and onlays usually take 2-3 appointments.
CONTACT US today to set up an appointment with Dr. Bauer and get her opinion on your need for an inlay or onlay.
Dr. Marnie Bauer specializes in cosmetic dentistry, smile makeovers, general dentistry & sedation dentistry throughout the Tampa & South Tampa area. Areas we service include Bayshore Beautiful, Hyde Park, New Suburb Beautiful, Gray Gables, Culbreath, West Shore, Palma Ceia, Gulfview, Westshore Yacht Club, 33602, 33606, 33609, 33611, 33616, 33629 & all of Hillsborough County.