Treat Your TMJ Pain And Bruxism!
Bruxism is the habit of clenching or grinding your teeth. It most often occurs at night during sleep, but may also occur during the day.
Effects of Bruxism:
In many cases, Bruxism doesn’t cause any damage. But if the grinding is severe enough, it can:
- Wear down or damage teeth
- Chip teeth
- Wear down the enamel, exposing a yellow layer (dentin)
- Increase temperature sensitivity
- Erode gums and supporting bones
- Break fillings or other dental work
- Worsen Tempromandibular Joint (TMJ) Dysfunction
- Result in cosmetic damage
Symptoms to look for:
- Teeth grinding, often very loud, during sleep
- Facial and/or jaw pain
- Headache or migraines in the morning or right after waking up
- Frequent earache
- Ringing in the ears, especially in the morning
- Frequent contraction of muscles on the side of the face
- Sensitive teeth
- Teeth that look flat at the tips
- Abnormal alignment of teeth
Causes of Bruxism:
The causes of Bruxism are still under investigation. However, the most common causes are:
- Sleep disorders
- Malocclusion (undesirable positioning of upper and lower teeth when the jaw is closed)
Treatment for Bruxism:
There are a couple of options for treatment. One way to prevent and control grinding is to wear a Night guard, which is used to protect your teeth throughout the night. A night guard helps absorb the shock and pressure of clenching and grinding. It also protects your teeth from chipping and flattening over time. Another way is injecting BOTOX® in the masseter muscle, the muscle that helps you chew. BOTOX® helps relax the masseter muscle effectively reducing involuntary teeth grinding and any associated discomfort.
If diagnosed early, it can be treated before it causes damage to the teeth. Please do not hesitate to our office if you suspect Bruxism. Grinding of the teeth can lead to several other dental problems including the need for fillings, crowns, root canals, bridges, and even extractions. Eventually, once the grinding becomes bad, the teeth can loosen and will need to be removed. This is not an issue to take lightly and can lead to expensive treatment.
CONTACT US today to set up an appointment with Dr. Bauer and get her opinion on TMJ, Bruxism & Night Gurards.
South Tampa TMJ Dentist – TMJ Specialist South Tampa – Bruxism South Tampa – Night Guard South Tampa – South Tampa TMJ – Teeth Grinding South Tampa – Teeth Clenching South Tampa – South Tampa Bruxism Dentist
Dr. Marnie Bauer specializes in cosmetic dentistry, smile makeovers, TMJ, Bruxism and night guards throughout the Tampa & South Tampa area. Areas we service include Bayshore Beautiful, Hyde Park, New Suburb Beautiful, Gray Gables, Culbreath, West Shore, Palma Ceia, Gulfview, Westshore Yacht Club, 33602, 33606, 33609, 33611, 33616, 33629 & all of Hillsborough County.